Premier Equine Rubber Three Ring Dutch Gag with Lozenge
- A three ring Dutch gag typically consists of four rings in total but with only three rings that you can actually attach the reins to, giving it the name.
- The top ring attaches to the cheek pieces of the bridle and you can attach the reins to any of the three lower rings to provide a variety of different leverage options.
- Also known as a continental bit, it works by raising the bit in the horse’s mouth in a similar way to a traditional gag but without the same severity.
- Using the reins on the lower rings significantly increases poll pressure which is why we recommend using two reins or rounding’s attached to a single rein when using them.
- This ensures that a correct contact can be maintained on the snaffle ring without poll pressure when needed.
- The rubber mouth piece softens the action of this bit and the copper lozenge encourages the horse to accept the bit and helps to reduce the nutcracker action of a single jointed bit.
- Can be a good choice for riders who find they need a little extra control for jumping or fast work.
- Exerts poll pressure with a limited gag action.
- Ideally used by experienced riders.
- This bit is NOT BD Legal.
- Bit strength: Moderate.
Rubber Horse Bits
- Rubber covered bits generally have thicker mouthpieces making them softer and ideal for horses with sensitive mouths or those who do not like metal bits.
- Our rubber bits have been heat treated to make them smooth to the touch and more durable.
- May not be suitable for horses with small mouths or a large tongue due to the thicker mouthpiece.
As per our size guide the A & B measurements of this bit are as follows:
5.5″ – A=15mm & B=180mm
To promote good hygiene and protect the longevity of your horse bit we recommend the following care regimen after every use.
- Rinse your bit after every use under a tap to remove any saliva or debris on the surface.
- Use a soft sponge or cloth to wipe any excess debris off of the bit, paying particular attention to joins and hinges.
- Leave to dry naturally.