Premier Equine Brass Alloy Tom Thumb Bit with Waterford Mouth
- The Tom Thumb bit is a cross between an American gag and an elevator bit.
- It offers more precision and control and is very popular for show jumping and cross country.
- It has a lifting effect in front which can assist the rider in helping to sit the horse back on its hocks, enabling tighter turns and more efficient jumping.
- The uplifting action combined with poll pressure can also discourage horses from leaning on the bit. Can be used with one rein on either the snaffle ring or the lower ring or alternatively, for increased precision, with two reins.
- The Waterford mouthpiece is comprised of a series of ball shaped links, making it completely movable in all directions.
- This is particularly popular for combating issues such as leaning, taking hold of the bit and jaw setting.
- When the horse tries to take hold of the bit the mouthpiece collapses, leaving the horse with nothing rigid to take hold of.
- The Waterford mouth piece combined with the action of the Tom Thumb gives a strong action and as a result this but should only be used by experienced riders.
- Should also be worn 1/4″ – 1/2″ wider than standard to work effectively.
- This bit is NOT BD Legal.
- Bit strength: Moderate.
Brass Horse Bits
- Brass alloy bits are warm, durable and they encourage the horse to salivate as well as easily accept the bit.
- Ideal for a range of horses, especially those that need encouragement to mouth and accept the bit.
As per our size guide the A & B measurements of this bit are as follows:
Please note: The C measurement is taken between the first chain links at either end. It does not correspond to the full length of the mouthpiece.
To promote good hygiene and protect the longevity of your horse bit we recommend the following care regimen after every use.
- Rinse your bit after every use under a tap to remove any saliva or debris on the surface.
- Use a soft sponge or cloth to wipe any excess debris off of the bit, paying particular attention to joins and hinges.
- Leave to dry naturally.