Premier Equine Blue Sweet Iron Tom Thumb Bit with Brass Alloy Lozenge
- The tom thumb bit is a cross between an American gag and an elevator bit.
- It offers more precision and control and is very popular for show jumping and cross country.
- It has a lifting effect in front which can assist the rider in helping to sit the horse back on its hocks, enabling tighter turns and more efficient jumping.
- The uplifting action combined with poll pressure can also discourage horses from leaning on the bit.
- Can be used with one rein on either the snaffle ring or the lower ring or alternatively, for increased precision, with two reins.
- Blue sweet iron oxidises easily which creates a warming sensation and a sweet taste in the horse’s mouth, helping them to accept the bit.
- Please note that the blue colour will fade with use, this is normal.
As per our size guide the A & B measurements of this bit are as follows:
Blue Sweet Iron Horse Bits…
- Blue Sweet iron bits oxidise easily which creates a warm sweet taste in the horse’s mouth, encouraging them to salivate.
- Some horses often prefer the warm sensation of sweet iron compared to stainless steel which is naturally colder.
- Sweet iron bits are therefore ideal for sensitive horses or horses that need encouragement to mouth and accept the bit.
- Loose ring, shank sides.
- Double jointed, blue sweet iron mouthpiece with brass alloy lozenge.
- Can help to lift horses off the forehand.
- Exerts poll pressure.
- Ideally used by experienced riders.
- This bit is NOT BD Legal.
- Bit strength: Moderate.
- To promote good hygiene and protect the longevity of your horse bit we recommend the following care regimen after every use.
- Rinse your bit after every use under a tap to remove any saliva or debris on the surface.
- Use a soft sponge or cloth to wipe any excess debris off of the bit, paying particular attention to joins and hinges.
- Leave to dry naturally.